Friday, July 1, 2011

Mamang's July 1, 2011

The younger brood scheduled themselves a tour of the city with a splash.  They decided to take on the Toronto Hippo Tours, the hippest way to see Toronto.  It is a continous journey on both land and water to experience the thrill of the "splash" into Lake Ontario.



Mamang and I have designated ourselves to stay put at home and enjoy the coolness of the air condition.  As soon as the younger set were out of the house, Mamang decides to narrate her stories of old.  She was talking about her buying "in-kiwar" in the corner store and was looking for a black rice in-kiwar called binalayagan.  I think this term means "not pounded to the purest pulp".  [[ I need to verify this terminology from my Ilocano resources, as I am not quite sure]].

After an hour of story telling, she starts conversing in simple but gramatically correct English.  When she does this, I worry and worry myself that her brain must be really working hard and reverting back to the language part of her brain.  Mamang is tired and she goes to bed, still talking in English.  I asked her why she is speaking to me in English, when I am a full blooded Ilocano. She can not be bothered and quips..."so, you can understand what I am saying to you".  Ay, motherrrr !!!! I exclaimed.

No comments:

Post a Comment